Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak Expert Response
The CDC estimated that from 2000 through 2015, there were a total of *49,930 confirmed Legionnaires’ Disease outbreaks and cases. They note that since 2000, the number of cases reported to CDC has been on the rise. Health departments reported almost 7,500 cases of Legionnaires’ Disease and Outbreaks in the United States in 2017.** However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number underestimates the true incidence.
So the question is, if you are a building owner or manager (especially healthcare), or work for a city or state health department what would you do if you had a Legionnaires’ Disease’ case or outbreak? You need an experienced Legionnaires’ Disease’ outbreak expert that you can trust. For over 40 years Dr. Richard Miller (and the Environmental Safety Technologies team for 25 yrs) have been known as the Legionnaires’ Disease outbreak prevention and response experts. We’ve been trusted by tens of thousands of individuals and organizations to help solve Legionella-related issues. We’ve seen it all and know we can help you!
As Legionnaires’ Disease’ outbreak experts, our Rapid Response Team offers:
Unrivaled experience – After working with Legionella and Legionnaires’ disease for over 42 years, Dr. Richard Miller has earned the title of Dr. Legionella™!
- Partnering with building owners and managers (especially healthcare) to provide:
- Explanations and advice with press releases, public meetings, and litigation,
- Review, critique, and revision of Legionella Water Management Plans
- Testing building water systems for Legionella, for purposes of:
- Assessment of Legionnaires’ disease risks in building water systems
- Validation of prevention and control measures for Legionella Water Management Plans
- Compliance with CMS, ASHRAE/ANSI Standard 188, VHA and New York State Regulations
- Accredited 3rd-party Legionella water testing for state and local health departments
- Genetic typing of Legionella isolates (both PFGE and whole genome sequencing), as part of the confirmation of the environmental source of a Legionnaires disease outbreak.
- Knowledge of Legionnaires’ disease prevention and best practices: Dr. Miller was a voting member of the committees that wrote ASHRAE Guideline 12-2000 and ASHRAE/ANSI Standard 188-2015.
- Education – Dr. Miller’s 40 yrs of experience teaching medical students, as well as the general public, about Legionnaires’ disease, other water-borne infectious diseases, and all other bacterial and fungal infectious diseases, with a focus on disease burden, epidemiology, habitat & transmission, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Research experience – Dr. Miller’s academic research experience and publications at the University of Louisville, School of Medicine (first Legionella publication in 1979).