About Environmental Safety Technologies
Dr. Richard Miller and Shauna Weis founded Environmental Safety Technologies, Inc. (EST) in 1993 as a unique collaboration, bringing together the two fields of Infectious Diseases Microbiology- disease prevention in healthcare and in the community (Dr. Miller’s expertise), and Industrial Hygiene – disease prevention in the workplace (Shauna’s expertise). Since our inception, we have provided our customers with the highest level of science and service to facilitate healthy building environments, especially focusing on patient safety in healthcare facilities. EST has the knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to bring these specialty microbiology and disease prevention services to you.
At the heart of EST is the flow of science through our internationally acclaimed and accredited microbiology laboratory [CDC ELITE (Legionella) and ANAB ISO 17025 (Bacteria and Fungi)].
We are a Legionella laboratory, testing tens of thousands of building water samples, per requirements in building-generated Water Management Programs, (as described in ASHRAE Standard 188-2018 and the CDC Toolkit). Water treatment companies, hospitals, long term care facilities, cruise ships and commercial property managers trust EST to provide the Legionella information and guidance for the safety of their building and occupants. In response to individual cases and outbreaks of Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks we provide emergency on-site assistance. This includes sample planning and collection, public health advice and guidance, and interpretation and recommendations based on the results.
However, our laboratory also goes well beyond Legionella testing, offering a wide variety of testing for other significant environmental pathogens, including:
- Six other water-borne pathogens in healthcare potable water, as identified by CMS – “The Forgotten Six” – Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter species, Burkholderia cepacia complex, Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, Non-tuberculous Mycobacterium species, and Total Fungi (molds and yeasts).
- Special testing of healthcare ice-machines for Legionella, along with other significant healthcare pathogens that can contaminate and amplify in ice machines- Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Non-tuberculous Mycobacterium species, and coli/coliforms.
- Special testing of recreational whirlpool spas and healthcare hydrotherapy pools for Legionella, along with a total bacterial count (TBC) as a measure of total disinfection effectiveness, and for the presence of other significant pool-transmitted pathogens- Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Non-Tuberculous Mycobacterium species, and coli/coliforms.
- Air testing for Aspergillus, other airborne fungi, and dust contaminating the hospital air during hospital construction projects.
- Microbiology testing for USP 797 Cleanroom Pharmaceutical Compounding– Sterile Preparations.
- FDA required environmental surface testing of food production facilities for Listeria and Salmonella.
- Surface testing for antibiotic resistant pathogens of concern in healthcare facilities, including MRSA, VRE, CRE, C. diff. and the new emerging fungal pathogen Candida auris.
Each year we face additional business challenges, but we measure success by annually exceeding our corporate expectations, delivering the very best service at a fair price, and, where possible, providing additional educational opportunities for both our employees as well as our clients.
All of this would not be possible without the great EST Team. Our diverse staff of Microbiologists, Laboratory Analysts, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Industrial Hygienists, Project Managers, and Operational Staff are the driving force behind the laboratory. Allowing us to prioritize both science and customers while continuing to grow.
In 2018 EST celebrated the 25th anniversary and with that celebration big changes followed. Dr. Miller retired from his forty-one year tenure as full-time faculty member at UofL. This move afforded him more time to lead the laboratory providing a renewed focus on Legionella and innovation. After twenty-seven years Shauna announced her retirement in 2020 ending her years of superb leadership while handing the guidance of the company over to Dr. Miller. Now, the company is sailing smoothly and confidently with Dr. Miller at the helm as President of EST, while continuing his role as Chief Scientific Officer.
This changeover has had one additional new component to unveil, with Dr. Miller’s announcement that EST has excitedly joined forces with the IEH Laboratory and Consulting Group (IEH). IEH is a recognized global leader in food microbiology and food safety testing and consulting services with a commitment to providing dynamic microbiological safety solutions in the food industry internationally. IEH’s core principles align with EST for guiding customers through risk mitigation and pioneering solutions for microbiological testing and consulting needs. Dr. Miller’s extensive experience and expertise in Legionella and healthcare allows IEH to expand its connections (especially internationally) into these critically important fields. The relationship also provides EST with access to the extensive molecular methods testing R&D at IEH, and this has already borne fruit in the development and recent release of EST’s new Quantitative Viable Legionella vPCR Test!
All the great things that you value in EST are in place. The focus on customers, service and innovation in laboratory procedures remains firmly under the direction of Dr. Miller. He is here to guide EST in this brave new direction, and we look forward to sharing this bright new future with all of our existing (and new) clients.